Let me just start this post by saying, I have one "real" 1st cousin. Yes, only ONE! I have lots of 2nd and 3rd cousins as well as many more on Peter's side of the family but my brother and I only have our cousin Trent!
Trent is married to his high school sweetheart with 3 beautiful kids. We were lucky to see him once a year growing up. We have talked more frequently lately and facebook has really helped with the communication. He is an amazing man and we are so proud of him.
At the funeral we were all talking and we asked him if he thought he would be deployed anytime soon. He said "no." When he returned to Fort Polk after Grams' funeral, he was served papers that were sending him to Korea for a year. A year without his beautiful wife and a year without his 3 amazing (well-behaved) kids.
He left less than a month ago and I know everyone is taking it really hard. His youngest cries for him at night. Trent is also already counting down the days on facebook-ugh-it breaks my heart. I can't imagine a whole year away from my husband, my kids, my family and my friends. I decided we needed to send him a package filled with lots of love and candy:) Harper and I went to Target last night to buy all of the stuff for his care package. We bought lots and lots of candy and magazines. This morning, the girls made several handmade cards to send to him. I am making a vow to send a package 1x a month for his entire year overseas.
Packing the box at the post office
After we mailed the package, we drove home. On our drive home, I got teary eyed just thinking about the men and women that are sacrificing so much for our freedom. I know everyone has probably known someone who has served our country but this one really hits home since it is my one and only true 1st cousin.
Trent, we love you and we are so proud of you!


No comments:
Post a Comment