Wednesday, May 4, 2011

A Day in the Life

I have friends who do these posts "A day in the Life" frequently. I have never done one of these posts but today, it is time!

I should have known that things were not going to go as planned when Adeline threw a fit on the way out of bible study. She didn't want to leave-she was having too much fun! I'm all for that but today, I had an agenda that I wanted to get accomplished before nap time.



After bible study, we headed to the post office. I had a million things to mail (mother's day presents, cards, a baby present, a birthday present, pictures for our grandparents, etc). I am never prepared when I go to the post office. I always take my stuff and secretly wish they would completely take care of everything (finding the right box, wrapping up the stuff, addressing the envelopes) but it never happens that way. I walk in with a bag full of the above mentioned and my two little girls in tow. I warned Harper to stay close before we even walked in but after waiting for over 10 minutes to talk with someone, all of that went out the window. My girls played with the greeting cards, the tape, the boxes and used the aisle marker as a jungle gym. After I spoke with the lady, she handed me some tape, newspaper and off I went to pack up the stuff. I was so flustered because of the way my girls were acting that I forgot to put some thing in one of the boxes and I was addressing things wrong. Every two minutes, I am looking up, trying to locate my kids (among the post office lunch crowd-about 10 people in line at all times) and politely (yay, right) screaming at my girls to come stand next to me and NOT touch anything else. They would slowly come back to me and then again, wander off. I threatened to take away Harper's tickets to Pinkalicious (which is a super big treat-Thanks Jill) but she said "that's not one of my choices!" At this point, I hear people in line start to chuckle. Then, Adeline starts grunting and Harper starts yelling "mom, she's going poop, that's gross, she stinks, mom change her diaper." I finally arrive at the counter with all of my stuff, sweating profusely and the man is now laughing. I said "are you happy we are getting ready to leave?" A lady in line pipes up and says "I'm just glad it's you and not me." Geez, thanks lady-obviously, I have my hands full with two kids, a million things and having to be in the post office for over 30 minutes! So, I told the man, "ship it all as cheap as you can and get it there by mother's day!" He nicely obliged and handed the girls a coloring book to look at. It took another 5 minutes (at least) to check-out. I paid and then as we were walking out, a lady started clapping. When we got the car, Adeline had some how gotten a bloody nose in the process.


Later today, I get to take them both to the police station so I can get my fingerprints done for my MN teaching license-should be interesting!



I know God provides different opportunities in our life to teach us lessons. Today, I think God was trying to teach me patience. I know I failed, I failed miserably, I got a F- (if that's even possible). Praying I can redeem myself later on this afternoon.

3 comments:

  1. Gotta love "A Day in the Life of McAdams style" !! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your honesty!! It's good to hear I'm not the only one that goes through stuff like this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. At Christmas in the UPS store I literally fed Reese 3 different snack traps full of cheerios in order to keep her seated in the stroller! The guy behind me was pacing and sighing the whole time while Reese was dropping Cheerios everywhere. But at least we both got our stuff mailed!

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a wife, mother, daughter, sister and friend. Peter and I have been happily married for 7 amazing years. Each day we face new and wonderful challenges of raising two incredible daughters.